Thursday, October 23, 2008

The "C" Word...

Well I know most of you were thinking that it would be many weeks before you saw me blog again but I couldn't keep the throngs of adoring blog readers waiting anymore. In November of 2007 I began working At Cumberland Family Care part time. It was then that i met a skinny,young marathon runner named Daniel. He was a Nurse Practitioner who graduated from Vandy almost the same time I graduated from Trevecca. Over a few months We came to realize we shared some common things..... mutual patients, shared offices, our wife/girlfriend were both named Tara (his actually was spelled Terra i think), gossiped about American Idol, and most special we were brothers in Christ. Because of the hectic nature of a medical office and the nature of our schedules there were very few times we could just sit down and chat. But when we did it was always neat because it was as if we were from the same army platoon or something. We were co-laborers, fellow Peon mid-level providers in a most commonly MD driven arrogant profession. One day after work we talked about a spot that he had on his tongue. He had it for many months and was being followed for it but it was not improving. Finally He found himself at Vanderbilt for a biopsy. In April, days before the pathology results were back I remember him sitting in the office and telling me "Cameron, I don't think its cancer but If it is I know God's In Control." Daniel passed away yesterday at the age of 34. He was a true testimony of Jesus Christ to the very end. He never wavered from the statement: "If God wants to heal me I know that He can and Will but if not I'm ready to go home". Yesterday I was thinking about the last few years and the friends/familys of my inner circle that had passed away from cancer. Three names in particular come to mind, Erin, Crystal, and Daniel. I added all their ages up and it comes to 92. If you divide that by three its an average lifespan of not even 31 years old. Sure i know thats a little bit of a stretch and those are only three cases. But it makes you think..I'm going on 27. Yes, still very young. But this time last year Daniel was running marathons and over the course of a year he couldn't even go to the bathroom by himself. I'm not trying to be graphic but it truely rips my heart out. I know God is in control but it still doesn't take the wondering thoughts away. I know this is turning into a Grandpa Simpson blog much like i threw Ryan under the bus for. haha. But for real, If you remember to over the next few days Remember Daniel Smith's family and Cumberland family care in your prayers. The world and our office has lost a good Christian man and a wonderful medical provider.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cam,
I am sorry for the loss of your friend and co-worker. Words are never sufficient. Prayer helps. Be reminded of just how precious every day is that our Lord blesses us with on this earth. Rest easy in the confidence that Daniel heard our Father say, "Well done, they good and faithful servant."

the Kings said...

Hey, Cam. Sorry to hear about your friend. It sounds like his was a life well lived. It makes me think of Oswald Chambers. He died from a ruptured appendix in 1917 at the age of 44. He had often told friends: "I feel I shall be buried for a time, hidden away in obscurity; then suddenly I shall flame out, do my work, and be gone." I believe God uses some of us up quicker. Some, like Daniel, are more willing to be used and God just used him up and took him up.